August 17, 2011

Julie Prichard-About Childhood



1. Do you still have a piece of artwork you created when you were a child? If not, is there a specific memory that you recall about a piece of artwork, art or creativity in your childhood?

Memories of Growing up with an Artist Mom:
In 1976 I was 5 years old. My mother stayed at home with my brother and I. She was an artist.

Spending hours over her drawing table as we played outside, we were not permitted to disturb her concentration. She labored over the most intricate pencil drawings I have ever seen-to date. She reproduced National Geographic images with impeccable accuracy. She made drawing look easy.

Turpentine for her oils, tubes of paint, the rubber eraser that was like play-dough, the Prismacolor blue 2B pencils...her wooden drawing table. Those are my most treasured memories of art as a child. I saw the neighbors and my relatives look at the paintings and share their delight.



all photos by Julie Prichard

In the 70's we wandered through art supply stores. Most notably, Aaron Brothers. Aaron Brothers in the 70's was the size of a current day Best Buy. It was a super-warehouse of art. Frames, easels, the pads of huge paper...the clay! I remember one of my favorite aisles was the ceramics section. Huge rolls of real clay...I dreamed of owning a pottery wheel. While my mother shopped for the perfect wood and matt for custom framing, we wandered. I studied my wallet and collected pens and pastels a la cart that I could afford. If we were "good" while she was in the store, we left with small art treats. It seemed like we were in Aaron Brothers every week.

My father instilled in us the knowledge of how to fix and repair things for ourselves. I can't say that I ever remember having a repairman over to the house to fix anything in those days.. We stayed home a lot (still do) and learned how to entertain ourselves. I attribute these factors to my creativity today.

I was encouraged to be creative by being given a small Vivitar 110 film camera. My father would develop the film at Fedco for me. I would study the pictures and could not wait for him to bring the photo envelopes home. The processing seemed like it took forever in those days (I think it actually did). When I was frustrated that I could not draw like my mother, I picked up some film and went to take pictures of the neighborhood kids. My love for photography has not stopped since then.

2. What does it (artwork/memory) mean to you now?
Every time I enter any art supply store, I am taken back to those days as a child. Everything is familiar.

My mom is private and has never shown her art. But I love her for exposing me to art. I love her for having it in our home. And my dad....thank you for building the confidence to take things apart.
-------------------------------------------------
Julie,  thank you so much. 
read more about  Artist Interviews: About Childhood here.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Ludid- this is a very special post to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading this! Not only was it great to get an insight into a friend/fellow artist, it was interesting to see how different her story is from mine.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to visit my creative space. you are welcome to share your comments and thoughts. best wishes---ludid

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS