September 14, 2011

Jamie Ridler-About Childhood


Photo by Jamie Ridler

1. Do you still have a piece of artwork you created when you were a child? Describe or explain. If not, is there a specific memory that you recall about a piece of artwork, art or creativity in your childhood?

When I was a girl, my mom signed me up for a theatre class. Though theatre was to become a major part of my life, this course didn’t make much of an impression. From that entire time I barely remember a detail – except one moment, a moment that changed my life and shaped my aesthetic.

In addition to presenting our dramatic rendition of Rip van Winkle, some kids performed a movement piece. Each of us had a chair. The stage was in darkness. The music played. You were to be absolutely still until the spotlight hit. In that moment, you danced your dance. Whatever was in your heart, you danced it. In that moment, I felt my soul awaken. It lasted 7 seconds. It lasted my whole life.

Nothing was ever the same.

2. What does it (artwork/memory) mean to you now?

Dance has been one of the most important companions of my life. She has brought me home again and again and again. As a girl who grew into a short, curvy woman, I wasn’t sure what place dance could have in my life; it wasn’t going to take me into the commercial realm. For a while, I forgot dance was there at all. But now, as a creative living coach who helps women awaken their own creative spirit, dance is one of my most powerful allies and once again, an important part of my life.

3. Will you be willing to share a photo of the artwork you did as a child or share artwork/photo/video inspired by that memory?



 
Jamie Ridler is a creative living coach and the founder of Jamie Ridler Studios. From coaching to workshops, from podcasting to blogging, Jamie’s work helps women find the confidence and courage to discover and express their creative selves so they can be the star they are.
Website: Jamie Ridler Studios http://www.openthedoor.ca/
Twitter: @starshyne www.twitter.com/starshyne
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jamieridlerstudios
Podcast: http://www.creativelivingwithjamie.ca/
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Jamie,  thank you for gifting us with your story and dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for taking the time to visit my creative space. you are welcome to share your comments and thoughts. best wishes---ludid

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS