June 11, 2012

Phoebe Stout-About Childhood

The next About Childhood artist interview comes from
textile designer Phoebe Stout.    Her hand-printed textiles
and jewerly are intuitive, personal, and graceful. 

Enjoy Phoebe's about childhood  story.


Do you still have a piece of artwork you created when you were a child? Describe or explain. If not, is there a specific memory that you recall about a piece of artwork, art or creativity in your childhood?

I do have quite a bit of artwork from my childhood. My parents made a lot of books with us over the years and I’m so grateful for that because my childhood projects are documented and preserved. I love looking back at the things I made because it does bring back memories. The memories aren’t necessarily specific or detailed but more often it’s the memory of the feelings of childhood. I can recall how the paper and paints smelled and the texture of glue on my fingers. My creativity was encouraged and celebrated. The fact that my artwork was made into books or framed and hung in our home, told me that my imagination was important. Such a seemingly small thing was actually monumental in bolstering my confidence then and now.



What does the artwork mean to you now?

When I look at the pieces that I’m sharing here, I feel a real pull to let go more often; to let go of the idea of an outcome or finished piece. I have a niece who is just a little bit older than I was when I did these drawings and I absolutely marvel at her fearlessness when she’s creating. My childhood artwork makes me laugh, out of the sheer joy of viewing the world through my tiny eyes. It also makes me a bit wistful and sad. I think the sadness is tied to the loss of innocence we experience. I wish I could paint with that same innocence even for a day.




The images I’m sharing are from a calendar that my father made for my mother for Christmas 1978. I was four years old and experimenting with different medium. I love that the portrait I drew of my mom depicts her as snow woman/Christmas tree hybrid. I wonder what was going through my mind while I was drawing it. In any case, I think she looks beautiful.

I’ve really enjoyed being a part of this series. It gave me cause to pull out pieces of my past that I hadn’t looked at in years and invited me to view my early life creativity in a different light.

Thank you, Ludid.

All photos by Phoebe Stout
 visit Phoebe's website at
to find out more about her artwork and creative life.
-----------------------------
Thank you, Phoebe for sharing
this part of your creative life.

More artist interviews here.

1 comment:

  1. thank you again - it is so interesting to read and watch it.
    x Stefanie

    ReplyDelete

thank you for taking the time to visit my creative space. you are welcome to share your comments and thoughts. best wishes---ludid

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS